Contact us



Emmy Nominations 2014: Nominees' Reactions



Now that the Emmy nominations are here, some of the day’s deserving nominees are weighing in – many in wry fashion.

• “I am so glad you love Violet so much … These nominations keep her from kicking the bucket.” – Maggie Smith, nominated for her role as the sharp-tongued Dowager Countess on Downton Abbey

• “Sometimes acting is like inviting a new lodger in and she was definitely the most fun to have around. I miss her. And the diamonds.” – Helena Bonham Carter, nominated for her role as Elizabeth Taylor in Burton and Taylor

• “This is an embarrassment of riches, and boy, am I happy to be embarrassed.” – Julia Louis-Dreyfus, nominated for the third consecutive year for Veep



Keep up with your favorite celebs in the pages of PEOPLE Magazineby subscribing now.




• “I got the news while in Alabama visiting family … Between the nomination and all the fried food, I’m in heaven!” – Tony Hale, nominated for Veep

• “I am absolutely thrilled to have been nominated again. I am on set today filming series 5 so, Lady Mary has a big grin on her face for a change!” – Michelle Dockery (Downton Abbey

• “So happy with these nominations. This breaks my ‘I can’t believe what happened to Brazil funk.’ ” – Billy Crystal, nominated for outstanding variety special for Billy Crystal: 700 Sundays

• “I was just struck with an extreme sense of gratitude. I loved this play for so long. I read it for the first time when I was 14. It changed my life. I was angered, I was frustrated, and then I wanted to do something about the social injustice of it all. That’s why I wanted to be a part of the film.” – Matt Bomer, nominated for his turn in The Normal Heart 

• “I’m going to start the ball rolling tomorrow!” – Joanne Froggatt, nominated for her role as Anna Bates on Downton Abbey, on her dress hunt for the big night 

• “When I got the news last night from a friend of mine in the NSA, I couldn’t believe it.” – Veep creator Armando Iannucci 

• “So far – great day. Just found out we were nominated for an Emmy and my daughter said her first words: ‘Go Daily Show!’ #blessed #emmy” – Jimmy Fallon, nominated for The Tonight Show

Comments (0)